Vancouver Medical, Dental and Allied Staff Association members gathered online and in person September 12 for the association’s 2022 Annual Awards celebration. Over 350 members (representing more than 5,000 years of patient care) were recognized for years of service milestones, while nine physicians were honoured with Academic Awards. The association, which includes physicians, nurse practitioners, dentists and podiatrists who work in Vancouver Acute and Vancouver Community, earlier acknowledged all members with medals of service for their ongoing commitment to health care throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.
“All our members have served above and beyond over the past 2.5 years, often at great personal cost to their own well-being,” said VMDAS President Dr. Alison Harris. “It was wonderful to be able to meet in person to celebrate our accomplishments. The event highlights some of the many exceptional professionals who work at VGH, UBC, GF Strong and in Vancouver Community sites. The remarks from the recipients—both the medical staff award winners and the milestone years of service speakers—were heartfelt and show the dedication we all have to excellent patient care.”
2022 Academic Award recipients
- Bobby Miller Award for Excellence in Teaching: Dr. Luck Louis
- Clinical Excellence Award: Dr. Thomas Nevill
- Scientific Achievement Award: Dr. Najib Ayas
- The Larry Collins Award for Committee Service: Dr. Fahreen Dossa
- Bringing Clinical Renown to Vancouver Hospital: Dr. David Thompson
- Special Service Award: Dr. Randall White
- Excellence in Early Career Award: Dr. Marthe Charles
- Community Service Award: Dr. Harish Neelakant
- Excellence in DEI (new this year): Dr. Faisal Khosa
2022 Years of Service Awards
Representatives from each milestone year made brief remarks about reaching their landmark years of service. Dr. Jordanna Kapeluto (five years), Dr. David Schaefffer (10 years), Dr. Iain McCormick (15 years), Dr. Jennifer Yao (20 years), Dr. Kam Shojania (25 years), Dr. Kenneth Gin (30 years), Dr. Noelle Davis (35 years), Dr. Roy Pursell (40 years), and Dr. William Bowie (45 years) were the class speakers.